Are you detail-oriented and enthusiastic about assisting entrepreneurs?
Continued success with entrepreneurial development has created the need to grow our team. Recent recipient of the Organizational Excellence Award at the 2018 Governor;s Conference on Economic Development, the Sheboygan County Economic Development Corporation (SCEDC) is seeking a personable, financial savvy, Entrepreneurial Specialist.
Benefits include low-deductible health (with wellness bonus), dental, life & long-term disability insurance as well as 3% retirement match and flexible schedule. The SCEDC is a non-profit organization devoted to growing Sheboygan County.
Working with modern tools, a dynamic team, and entrepreneurs, our new Entrepreneurial Specialist will help make a difference in our communities. Their contribution is made by working with business owners seeking financial expertise and project management to form, acquire or expand operations to enhance economic vibrancy and jobs for neighbors, family and friends.
A successful candidate will have a working knowledge of providing small business assistance including one-to-one client counseling in the area of business plan development; analyze, prepare and structure financial statements such as cash flow projections, income statements and balance sheets. They will work one-on-one, and if desired, teach entrepreneurship courses to complete sustainable business plans. They will assist the entrepreneurs in obtaining financing, identify business locations and marketing/sale strategies. They will be able to assess the current needs and skills of individual entrepreneurs using a standardized assessment tool, advise an entrepreneur about the programs and partners which can best assist them in their development process, and create an action plan of assistance steps through the SCEDC and SBDC.
SUMMARY: The specialist is a joint position between the Sheboygan County Economic Development Corporation (SCEDC) and the UW-Green Bay Small Business Development Center (SBDC). The individual will be a full-time employee of the SCEDC and will spend 2 days per week with the SCEDC and 3 days per week with the SBDC.
For the SCEDC the specialist is responsible for business plan assistance and project management of 1st stage firms including marketing and promoting entrepreneurship classes.
For the SBDC the specialist will provide business plan assistance for firms within SBDC’s service territory, which includes NE Wisconsin. In addition, the specialist will teach Entrepreneurship Training Program (ETP) classes.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
For the SCEDC
- Initiate contact and develop relationships with entrepreneurs
- Develop relationships with professional services such as banks, accountants and chambers of commerce that can provide contacts to entrepreneurs.
- Vet and assist entrepreneurs in the development of sustainable business plans
- Project-manage entrepreneurs through the process of creating a business plan, financing, and any other major obstacles they may face
- Have and maintain a strong working knowledge of available entrepreneurial resources in order to make referrals to clients.
For the SBDC
- Listen, fact find and ask critical questions of entrepreneurs to ensure business plans are fully vetted.
- Promote and teach Entrepreneurial Training Program (ETP) courses
- Work one-on-one with entrepreneurs to create feasible business plans and provide business counseling services.
- Develop and create financial documents including balance sheets, profit and loss statements and breakeven-analysis for business plans using information provided by the entrepreneur and industry financial ratios.
- Provide for analytical assessment of financial statements using available tools and experiences.
- Log project information in both SBDC and SCEDC recordkeeping systems.
- Provide administrative support as necessary
Dashboard of Accountability
- Number of business starts, acquisitions or mergers
- Capital and jobs created or retained in projects
- Track all hours spent with each client
- Number of “passed” business plans in ETP classes
- Fill specific retail/service gaps in communities
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE: Bachelor degree preferred in business, finance, accounting, marketing or related field preferred. Strong experience in finance and/or accounting necessary. Experience may replace formal education.
QUALIFICATIONS: Position utilizes excellent organization skills, professional demeanor, flexibility, ability to work under stress and to work independently as well as within a group. The position also requires the ability to affect company’s strategic decisions. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
English Language: Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
Customer and Personal Service: Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
Communications and Media: Knowledge of persuasive communication, and dissemination techniques and methods.
Sales and Marketing: Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products or services. This includes marketing strategy and tactics, product demonstration, sales techniques, and sales control systems.
Clerical: Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, spreadsheet calculations, managing files and records, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
Computers and Electronics: Knowledge of Microsoft office Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook, knowledge of mobile devices, and Customer Relationship Management (CRM) databases.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to prioritize workload in a fast-changing environment. Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
CONFIDENTIALITY: Must be willing to sign Federal waiver to uphold client confidentiality.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your resume and cover letter to the SCEDC staff at Apply@SheboyganCountyEDC.com. Position will remain open until filled.